Friday, February 13, 2009

Moose crossing

Moose are everywhere, all the time. Walking down the street, in parking lots and back yards, munching on our trees and shrubs (and totally messing up the growing cycle, by the way). And last night I narrowly missed hitting one on the street leading to our house.

It was an adolescent, but still huge -- and while the car in front of me stopped and swerved off to the right, I didn't see the moose in the dark until the last second. Thankfully I had enough time to drive out of the way and the moose ran off into somebody's yard. Those close calls make me nervous because I've seen first hand what a moose can do to a vehicle -- they can demolish the front end of a full size truck! And a moose ran in front of my mom's car years back, just absolutely crushing the windshield and bending in the frame. She was fine -- freaked out -- but ok otherwise.

So anyway, this morning I am driving to work and what do I see getting ready to cross Lake Otis? A moose. And this moose looks suspiciously like the one from last night. So I and all the other cars slow down, and he crosses right in front of me. I have been keeping my camera with me during the day but it happened so fast that I wasn't able to snap a photo.

No comments: