Tuesday, September 22, 2009

It's worth it

While on our Saturday outdoor excursion, I told D that it really just hit me that this is the last year I will be using my last name. After we get married I will be taking D's last name, and apparently everybody and their dog needs to be notified of it: banks, utilities, social security, DMV, my employer (oh god, a new email address for all my work contacts and vendors to learn), credit card companies, investment houses, insurance, doctors, passport agency, voting division, post office, accountant, etc.

I've had my last name for 32 years now and I kinda like it. It's my identity. People know me professionally and personally by this name.

My face must have been sporting that "head-exploding-imminent" look, because D asked, "is it worth it?"  And you know what? It is totally and completely worth it. We're going to be husband and wife -- a family unit -- and someday kids will come along and we will all have the same last name. Legally and in our hearts.

(But I can't totally let go of my original last name -- so I'd like to bestow it on one of our kids as his/her middle name someday. It seems like the right thing to do.)

No comments: