Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Boyd - 17.25 months

What a busy month! Baby Boyd turned 17 months old and we had a ton of activities and events to keep us on the move in July. Those updates to come later.
  • We're hearing more words come out of Boyd's mouth: water (wawa), boat (bo), more (mo), banana (nana), grandma (nana), emo - which is the Korean word for aunt, grandpa (baba), hot (haaaa), flower (fawa), puppy (pupu), woah, up (buh), night night (nigh nigh), no.
  • I bought a frog-shaped sandbox with lid for him to play in - it sits in the front yard and D just recently filled it with sand. Boyd seems to like it. Still can't get enough of going outside.
  • More waving, lots of smiling at everyone - even strangers.
  • Definitely right handed for eating and drawing/writing. He's been eating with a spoon pretty well and most of the food makes it into his mouth! Has totally mastered drinking from a cup with a regular straw. We're working on a regular cup and water bottle, but I'm surprised at how quickly he's picking it up. And he'll blow on food that he thinks is hot - super cute.
  • In the last couple weeks he has started to take our hands and lead us to an area. Then he'll show us things or just begin playing. He's SO ACTIVE. D and I are shocked when he sits for longer than 5 minutes!
  • Still doing well with one nap per day beginning between noon to 1 p.m., usually running about 2 hours.
  • During our many nights away from home during Risha's wedding and fish camp, Boyd has slept surprisingly well in the travel crib. We'll do bedtime like usual, put him down and then leave the room or camper - it normally takes 10-15 minutes for him to settle and fall asleep. Some night waking occurred but I would pull him into my sleeping area for the rest of the night. 
  • I've been up for some inexplicable night wakings since we've been home again. He's upset in the middle of the night, around 1:30-2 a.m., and when I go to him all he wants to do is play in his room or walk around for 1-2 hours. It's exhausting. I think it may be another sleep regression - we're right on track for the 18 month regression. After he starts acting tired again I'll redo the bedtime routine and put him down again. 
  • It's so hot again and the temperature in Boyd's room rises in the evening. Lately he sleeps in just a nighttime diaper with the fan on high. If it's especially stuffy in his room, we'll leave the door open to get some air circulation going.
  • Boyd is SO GOOD about having sunscreen or lotion put on. He's very patient, even when I'm applying it to his face. 
  • I have lost 2 pairs of sunglasses to Hurricane Boyd - I now hide them from his path of destruction.
  • We're seeing more affection - puckers up for kisses when we say "popo", which is the Korean word for kiss.Sometimes he'll even offer an unsolicited kiss - I love those moments! He's not big on hugging yet.
  • Understands almost all of what we say to him and follows fairly complicated 2-step commands, e.g., pick up your water from the table and take it to daddy. 
  • I'm hoping his physical prowess improves. He's not as steady as I'd like him to be, but it just comes with more practice, I suppose! For example, he won't scoot on his bottom down the stairs and instead wants to hold our hands to get down them.
  • Loves reading - the two most popular books in the rotation are Goodnight Gorilla and Goodnight Construction Site. I love seeing him flip through pages and point out images or babble to himself. He doesn't seem interested in television and we don't actively offer it to him.
  • Assists us in taking off his clothes - putting arms up, pushing shirts off his face, helping with socks/shoes.
  • After a bad week of horrible diaper rash and nightmare poops, the culprit was discovered to be strawberries! Who knew? I think it must be a mild gastric intolerance.
  • Really enjoys brushing his teeth after bedtime, and likes most baths.  
  • Temper tantrums are coming into play. So lovely. 
  • Once in a while he'll get startled by something, and I have to admit that I love it when he instinctively runs over and clutches our legs for comfort.





No comments: