Quick, how much do you remember from Civics class? I remember nothing since technically I never took a program called Civics. All of that info was rolled into different social studies classes throughout junior high and high school. Regardless, I retained enough to score 81.8% on this Civics Quiz. Woo hoo! Yay for the Anchorage School District.
What's interesting is the results of the test:
"Seventy-one percent of Americans fail the test, with an overall average score of 49%.
Liberals score 49%; conservatives score 48%. Republicans score 52%; Democrats score 45%.
Fewer than half of all Americans can name all three branches of government, a minimal requirement for understanding America’s constitutional system."
This page is also eye-opening:
"Of the 2,508 People surveyed, 164 say they have held an elected government office at least once in their life. Their average score on the civic literacy test is 44%, compared to 49% for those who have not held an elected office. Officeholders are less likely than other respondents to correctly answer 29 of the 33 test questions."
That doesn't inspire much faith in our elected politicians, but there's nothing new there I guess.
No comments:
Post a Comment