Thursday, January 22, 2009

Local updates

When we left Alaska for Mexico, it was 10 to 15 degrees below zero. When we returned, about 85% of the snow had melted during a freak warm period -- the temperature got up to 40 degrees for a few days with warm Chinook winds blowing through town.

It turns out that school was cancelled for 4 DAYS because the streets turned to sheets of black ice after the melted snow would refreeze at night. I can't remember classes being cancelled for 4 days the WHOLE time I attended school in Anchorage. But like my dad says, safety first!

The weather has hit a more normal level now -- overcast and about 20 degrees. It's a tad bit depressing without our normal snow cover though. The snow is hard packed and bad for skiing and snowmachining. Bummer.

I took my barking cough with me to Mexico -- I'm sure my fellow airplane mates really appreciated that. D says he knows what it's like to date a smoker now -- the cough was awful. Probably the second most annoying sound in the world. And the best part? I'm pretty sure I have bronchitis. Have an appointment to see my doctor about that and my possible bruised ribs from a night fishing incident in Cancun. Ah, I'm the luckiest girl alive!

I'm supposed to participate in the Ski for Women on Superbowl Sunday, but we'll see what the doc says about that. A couple of my coworkers have experienced bruised ribs and they say it takes between 2 to 4 weeks for a full recovery. This race isn't very challenging but I don't want to push it.

No comments: