Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Designing woman

I am not sure how this happened, but somehow I have become the go-to graphic designer at my workplace. Which is interesting because I have zip-zero-zilch design training in my background. I'm a PR person for pete's sake! I write stuff. And talk to the media. And organize events.

But you take one work-sponsored, 3-day InDesign class and suddenly the office inbox is full of poster and brochure requests. I enjoy upping the creativity factor, but it seems like most of my time is spent doing these piddly little fliers that honestly I have no interest in. But my boss is great and we're going to work on figuring out a better system for all of these requests so I'm not inundated. She also did say that our employer would pay for additional classes if I want to get some real graphic design training -- which rocks, because I'd love to get some additional experience under my belt. Looks great on the resume'!

No comments: