Thought I'd share some of the fruits of my BOW labor -- first up, pickled salmon! We are curious to taste this stuff. D is midwestern man so he has grown up with pickled fish, but it's pretty new to me.
At BOW we boiled a pickling brew and scooped it into the jars filled with chunks of salmon that we fileted and cut up. The jar needs to be refridgerated for another couple weeks before we can experience the goodness.

Also from BOW, my gravalox (or lox for short) sample. This filet has a salt, sugar, peppercorn, herb, etc., mixture rubbed into the fish which is drawing the moisture out. In a few days it'll be quite firm and we'll be able to cut it into thin slices and eat with yummy cream cheese and bagels or crackers.

Somehow the crisper in the fridge became filled to the brim with red and green apples. Must be apple gnomes playing tricks on us. Yesterday I got so tired of seeing those damn apples sitting there (silently judging me for not doing anything with them, I'm sure) that I found a recipe for Apple Crumble and got rid of all but one.
D and I agree that it was pretty good, but now I understand why people say to use more green apples than red in an apple pie or bake -- the tartness of the green variety gives the dish a little kick. The brown dots are Ghiradelli baking chocolate -- I have TONS left over from the coconut macaroon experiment.

And does it get any better than a nice lambic? A sweet and tart Belgian fruit beer, of which my favorite is framboise (raspberry). Lindemans also makes a kriek (sweet cherry), plus green apple and peach. I usually buy two bottles at a time -- they go fast in our house!
No comments:
Post a Comment