Friday, April 10, 2009

It's Breakup time

Ahhh, springtime in Alaska. That unique time of year when grass is green, flowers are blooming on every corner, and people walk around in shorts and t-shirts...

Well, anyone who has actually been to Alaska or has the pleasure to live here KNOWS that the above description is just wishful thinking. Although people do shed their layers rather quickly when the temperature rises above 40 degrees! In reality, the grass is brown, new flower buds are at least 6 weeks away...but Breakup has finally arrived.

Most people hate Breakup (with a capital B) -- it's an unofficial season here in Alaska. Think puddles, gray snow, dust and very, very dirty cars. Me? I've loved Breakup for as long as I can remember. I love the melted and refrozen puddles, dusty streets and most especially, the warmer temperatures that come along with our brownest and dirtiest season. We are finally emerging from what has turned out to be a long and cold winter. I'm on the other side and it's glorious!


My car says it's 43 degrees...time to get out the shorts!

No comments: