Friday, July 24, 2009

Dippin' this weekend

Growing up, my mom would clip her favorite "love is..." comic strips out of the paper and affix them to the fridge. It's a bit of nostalgia for me when I see them now...


On that note, we're going wild on the weekend once again! It's back to the Kenai River for more king fishing and some dipnetting. Dipnetting is only open to Alaska residents -- non-residents can't participate in any stage of the harvesting, including cleaning, driving the boat or benefitting from the catch. Our household (D and I) is eligible for 35 reds and 1 king, but we don't need that many and will not harvest our full amount. I always wonder how many people take their limit and end up wasting the fish.

Last year I drove the boat while the guys dipnetted -- and it was a bit stressful for me at times, navigating between all of the other boats and making sure I was motoring along at the right speeds. Wakes and waves from passing boats push us towards shore and I can't gun the motor because it makes holding onto the huge nets difficult.

I will post photos next week, but until then here is a slideshow from the Anchorage Daily News on dipnetting from shore at the mouth of the Kenai River. Dipnetting boats aren't allowed in that area, so we'll be a little further upriver. (It's easier and more convenient to dip from a boat as opposed to doing from shore.)

No comments: