It was a bad weekend for accidents on the Seward Highway. We missed the crash on Friday evening, but were stopped by the one on Sunday (and could even see the lights of the State Troopers a few miles ahead.) In all we waited, at a standstill, for 5 1/2 hours -- and finally arrived home at 3 a.m. Needless to say, D and I are tired today.

Most of the time I drove the boat, while the guys traded off dipnetting and bonking/tail clipping/gill cutting. At times the water was rough and the waves pushed us around. It was definitely a wet, windy and cold time for everyone.

Marty and Mike hard at work with the dipnets. It seems like everytime Mike took a swig of beer, a fish would swim into his net -- so I encouraged him to stay hydrated...
I tried netting for a while but it really gets difficult when the boat moves a lot, so I left that to the guys. In total, we fished from 2 pm until about 10:30 pm. I got one porta-potty break, thank the lord. At the end, the guys decided to gut the fish on board while I slowly motored back to the bridge. It seriously looked like a horror movie in the back of the boat -- blood everywhere!
Our total for the day? 35 reds! We gave the majority to the guys since they don't get to fish every weekend like some crazy people. :-)

The rest of that weekend was great though -- Saturday morning we fished for kings from the boat but got skunked. That afternoon, D and I motored almost to the mouth of the Kenai to pick up Mike and Marty for an afternoon (and evening!) of dipnetting.
No comments:
Post a Comment