Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Homer trip 2

Homer is such a fun little town, and we usually have better luck halibut fishing in Kachemak Bay than Prince William Sound. Plus the sea otters are more plentiful -- and I love me some otters.

While heading back from fishing on Saturday we spotted a nice-sized group of them floating together. D was able to maneuver the boat fairly close to them (but not too close -- we're not wildlife harassers!) and the awesome zoom on my camera helped me capture these guys...

Puffins were spotted periodically through the day.

Somehow these photos loaded out of order -- this is us leaving the Homer harbor on Saturday morning. It's vastly larger than Whittier's harbor and takes a little while to motor through.

One of the many Coast Guard ships docked at the harbor. Behind it is the state ferry Tustumena that runs to Seldovia and points beyond, I think.

Lord almightly, this dog loves being on the water and catching fish!


I'm not sure what happened, but by Sunday I was sporting a nice pink sunburn on my face. Could have sworn I had a nice base tan going. And as an added bonus: raccoon eyes from not removing my sunglasses often enough. Needless to say I wore a baseball cap on the water Sunday.

No comments: