Thursday, November 19, 2009

Bird watching

I'm not sure that people believe me when I say that the ravens around town are HUGE. Seriously, as big (or bigger) than my cats. I weighed Little Dude yesterday (currently coming in at about 18.2 pounds) and am pretty certain that the ravens would give him a run for his money in a street fight.

Thursday is garbage day in our neighborhood and the ravens all come out to pick through our trash bags. They have no fear -- cars drive by and the dumpster-diving continues. I mean, look at the size of that bird...it's bigger than the turkey I'm planning on buying for Thanksgiving!





We're lucky in that that we are not required to use bear-resistant trash cans. Our house is about a mile from a bear corridor but they never come into our neighborhood -- I hope it stays that way. We do see our fair share of moose though.

No comments: