My book club is comprised of some really fun gals from work -- all different ages so we get a great cross-section of reading selections (and strong opinions about the aforementioned reading selections). We started our little group last February and since then one member has moved away (very sad about that) and one has pretty much dropped out. But the core group of 5 is still going strong.
Lately the books have been super depressing, so when my turn to pick came around again everyone asked that I select "something happy." I decided on David Sedaris, who is hilarious and I'm embarrassed that it's taken me this long to fall in love with his books! I've heard so much about him -- other friends have read his essays and even gone to book signings/readings. We had a good discussion about our favorite parts of the book I picked: Naked. Since then I have also read When You Are Engulfed in Flames, but really want to get to Me Talk Pretty One Day and Holidays on Ice. Sedaris just has a funny and sometimes poignant way of dissecting life, especially his own. If you can, get an audio book and listen to him read his own essays!
No comments:
Post a Comment