Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Pack on the pounds

This Saturday I am attending a cookie exchange, hosted by a good friend from work. I usually don't participate in cookie exchanges because invariably the organizer will ask everyone to bring something like 12 dozen cookies and I don't have the force of will or kitchen space to create that many individual baked goods. Plus who needs that many cookies at home anyway? I can get fat and blobby over the holidays all by myself, no assistance from cookies needed.

My friend says I only need to make 2 dozen which is totally doable, so I signed up. Told her I'd be bringing my new favorite cookies, the chocolate dipped macaroons. I also volunteered to make my hot artichoke and spinach dip -- and THAT always makes me some new friends! Now, I am going to share this recipe with you all because I am infused with the spirit of holiday giving:

Audry's Artichoke & Spinach Dip

14 oz. (1 can) artichoke hearts, drained & chopped
1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
8 oz. package cream cheese, softened at room temp
1/4 cup mayo (NOT miracle whip)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
mozzarella cheese, grated
french bread or crackers

Mix together cream cheese, mayo, parmesan cheese, garlic, basil and garlic salt. Add artichoke hearts and spinach, and mix until well blended. Store together until ready to use. Spray pan with PAM, pour in dip and top with mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until top is browned. Serve with french bread or crackers.

This stuff is popular and we rarely ever have leftovers (once I actually saw someone clean the pan with her finger and LICK IT, so I'm confident that it's the bomb diggity) but you can just pop any extra in the fridge and then reheat in the microwave.

No comments: