Last night was book club with the ladies from work. I've been jonesing for pizza so I suggested Moose's Tooth as our meeting place. Their pizza is divine and the beer is even better! I brought along our growler and filled it up with the Tooth's hard apple ale - $10.50 for a 1/2 gallon, not too bad.
I can't believe it, but next month will be the one year anniversary of the formation of our group. We have read some great - and not so good - books over the last 12 months (with time off for summer and Christmas):
Belinda - Ann Rampling
I could not get into this book. Please don't read it, the plot is disturbing to say the least.
The Postman Always Rings Twice - James Cain
My first book pick for the group. James Cain is a noir fiction writer - definitely some dark themes running through this novel. The movie with Jack Nicholson follows the book very closely. "Double Indemnity" is another good one by the same author.
The Shack - William Young
Even if you're not super religious, the book sparks good conversation and thought about choice, judgement and forgiveness. Although I had to skip some parts because it was just too preachy.
Metro Girl - Janet Evanovich
Eh. A mindless read, not bad but not great. I've heard that the author's other series are addicting though.
Outlander - Diana Gabaldon
I loved this book so much that I ended up downloading the second in the series on my Kindle recently. Basic premise is that a woman from the 1940's time travels, ends up in 1700's Scotland, falls in love and finds adventure. Overall it is not science-fiction-y at all and really goes into some great Scottish history.
What is the What - Dave Eggers
Sad but true story of the "Lost Boys" of the Sudan. A good read but it was hard for all of us to get through this one.
Out Stealing Horses - Per Petterson
I pride myself on reading a wide variety of books and keeping an open mind, but this one didn't grab me. It was difficult to even find any themes to discuss.
A Lesson Before Dying - Ernest Gaines
Segregation, race issues and relationships in 1940's Louisiana. I shed a few tears at the end of the book.
Naked - David Sedaris
My second book pick. We had three depressing books in a row so the girls asked that I pick an upbeat selection! Sedaris is a very funny essayist with a particular brand of humor (which I love). He mostly writes about his life and that of his family. One of his sisters is Amy Sedaris (from the show "Strangers With Candy") and she also reads his essays on the audiobooks.
The Prestige - Christopher Priest
After a slow start, I couldn't put this book down. I had seen the excellent movie (with Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale) and knew the basic premise, but while the book shares basic plot points with the movie it takes a different turn overall. Good twists to keep you entertained.
Committed - Elizabeth Gilbert
We've just started this one. Elizabeth Gilbert also wrote "Eat, Pray, Love" which is a fabulous book about her journey after a divorce to eat in Italy, pray in India and find love in Indonesia.
Any good books you want to suggest? My turn is coming around again!
No comments:
Post a Comment