Monday, February 22, 2010

Dinner, Symphony & Porcupine

This month is just kicking my butt -- I feel so behind on a number of things, one of them being this blog! I thought about blogging last night but then I ended up spending 3 hours in the kitchen, making garlic bread, caribou lasagna from scratch and a very yummy batch of chocolate tarts in coconut bowls. So dinner was tres' delicious, if I do say so myself. I just about passed out from the heat though, with two burners on the stove going strong and the oven working overtime.

The Symphony on Saturday evening was really great. I haven't been for quite a while now and forgot how much I enjoy listening to live music. It was a lovely evening. And my workplace got some great PR exposure! 

I had a request to post some porcupine photos, so Mim, these are for you!


Last month I blogged about D and I having dinner with friends, with an unusual meat as the main course. D shot this porcupine out at the cabin and our friends cooked it up, using a cookbook we also have at home, Cooking Alaskan. What's funny is that I've looked through that book and don't recall ever seeing the section on porcupines!

Both Jay and Sara work for Fish & Game, so they are no strangers to cooking up Alaskan-type meals. However, porcupine was a first for them. Jay says he laid the animal on its back and then started to clean it by going in by the belly (no quills there). After butchering it, Sara let it cook overnight in a crockpot with lots of veggies and bacon. The four of us thought it was good, but really the meat didn't have a strong taste one way or another. The bacon helped to give it a good flavor.

Jay says he'll boil down the skull and use it for education purposes at work. The teeth really fascinate me, look at how yellow and long they are...yikes!


Long claws too...good for digging and climbing trees.

A closer look at the quills, nestled close to the skin.

D kept the frozen porcupine outside until I could take it over to Jay & Sara's for cleaning. As he brought it in, somehow a quill stuck him and you can see how tenacious the thing is.

No comments: