Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Room to breathe

Lately I've been experiencing shortness of breath during the day but especially at night. I guess as the baby gets bigger he is starting to crowd up against all my organs, including my diaphragm. I can deal with this during the day but it is almost unbearable when I'm trying to sleep. It's so hard to get comfortable! Lying down just puts more pressure on my lungs and I end up tossing and turning. I can't get enough air through my nose but mouth breathing leaves me with a really dry mouth. I get about 4 good hours of sleep a night - after that I'm awake for about 2 hours and then fall into a fitful sleep for another hour or so. And the nightly charlie horses in my legs - what is up with those? There are so many aspects to pregnancy that I never knew about!

But then I feel the little peanut kick or move around (or I see my belly ripple - so surreal but very cool!) and all the discomfort is worth it. I think about women who are not able to get pregnant for whatever reason (family & friends included) and I count myself extremely lucky for our baby that has blessed our lives already.

No comments: