Thursday, October 11, 2012

Goodbye Sammy

My oldest cat, Sammy, (aka Smee, Cow Kitty, Fatty) crossed over the Rainbow Bridge a couple weeks ago. She had been declining for quite a while - arthritis, I think, along with an old-kitty condition in which claws curve around to grow into the foot pad, which is pretty painful. Sammy had a good long life - at least 16 years - so my sister and I decided to take her to the vet to have them take care of her.

The day before her procedure, I fed her as much canned food as she could eat and gave her lots of love. The next day my sister and I drove to the vet's office, and I was fine until we put her on the table. So, so sad to put a beloved pet to sleep. It's heartbreaking. Thankfully the process was quick and she drifted off without any pain. We chose to bring Sammy home and bury her in our backyard.

After losing Pepper 2 years ago, we're now we're a 1 cat, 1 dog household - which is plenty now that we have a little 2-legged troublemaker!

Boyd and Sammy on her last day.

No comments: