Thursday, July 9, 2009

News roundup

It's been an exciting week for news, although I'm pretty sick of all the Sarah Palin stuff...let's all move on, shall we?

A small brush fire broke out a couple blocks from my workplace on Wednesday. From my office on the 7th floor I had a bird's eye view of the white smoke, and could follow the circling chopper that dropped water on the blaze. Firefighters put it out within a couple hours.


And then late on Wednesday night I was awakened by the sound of staccato gun shots, which turned out to be from ammunition exploding in a garage fire: http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp?S=10667441

The haze from numerous forest fires (71 active) is persistent. We haven't had a clear view of the mountains in days. Yesterday my car held a very light dusting of ash from the fires.

This hot and dry weather isn't helping anything -- back on the home front, I'm trying to keep our flowers, trees and bushes well hydrated.

No comments: