Friday, June 4, 2010

Memorial weekend in PWS 4

We stopped in this area to purify some water at the waterfall (from melting snow high up in the mountain) and check out one of D's old bear baiting sites.

We really got lucky with the weather. Very warm and sunny all day Saturday.

An eagle soared very high above us. It made at least 10 revolutions around its nest before I stopped watching.

Tromping through the wet, marshy muskeg. It was crazy hot by this time of day. Saw some bear scat over here too, I think.

D spotted some fiddle ferns (an Asian delicacy) so we went back to the boat for garbage bags and then started picking! We have seen these ferns in PWS and near Homer - probably never been picked before. I kept them on ice in the cooler until we arrived home, then boiled them quickly and dried them outside. Will mail half to my grandma and half to my mom.

No comments: