Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Memorial weekend in PWS 5

I think I have one more set of photos and then we're done with Memorial weekend. The one below was taken from my comfy vantage point on the beach. Drift and I were able to hang out here while D sat in his tree stand and hunted for bears. The boat is floating way out there because it is on an anchor system - prevents us from getting beached at low tide.


Super awesome view. I found this huge flat rock on the beach and created a makeshift beach chair. Surprisingly comfy. I watched lots of boats, otters and seals go by. No whales on this day.

Drift got a little upset when D walked off through the woods towards the bear hunting site. This dog loves D so much.

The Princess cruise ship goes by to look at College Fjord (all of the glaciers in this area are named after colleges back east).

More photos of the area...it was mostly low tide while we waited for D, so I did some walking across the rocks.

Difficult to see, but this is a glacier running into the Sound.

My ring (I got a little bored at one point).

Close up of a little critter stuck to the rock. They are easy to pull off and you can see the little mollusk (or whatever they are) retreat back into its shell.

A curious seal that watched us for a while.

Our beach and staging area. In total, we waited about 5 hours for D to hunt. No bears were shot, but he did see one come into the bear bait site.

It's still so light outside at 11 p.m.! The fishing boats were congregated in this part of the sound, near the beach, fishing for reds (sockeye salmon). They put the nets out, wait for a bit and then pull in the catch. I watched them for a looong time. They were still going strong when we left for our hour-long ride back to camp.

No comments: