Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Maui 7

Readers, I totally forgot about the rest of my Hawaii photos! That's what happens when you get old - things slip your mind. :-)

Around the halfway mark of our trip I really wanted to visit a place called Black Rock. All the guidebooks and websites sing the praises of this snorkeling beach. The only problem with this is popularity = crowds. And Black Rock is located in the resort area of Kaanapali - very pretty but extremely limited on free beach parking. I think we ended up parking in a hotel garage and paying something like $20 for the whole day.

Black Rock, straight ahead.

Paddle boarders. I may try this next time we go on vacation.

Nice smooth ride with a catamaran - saw lots of these in Maui.
Kaanapali is where all of my friends with little kiddos go to vacation. Super easy to walk straight from a resort hotel room right down to the beach. No muss, no fuss, no struggling with gear in the car, etc. D and I noticed that Hawaii is much more family-friendly than say, Mexico.

Had no problems finding a nice spot on the beach since we arrived early.

Snorkelers at Black Rock. After sunning ourselves for a while, D and I grabbed our snorkel gear and joined in. The water was super clear but there weren't a lot of fish to be seen.

Little birdies looking for food morsels.

This one found a perfect perch for himself on our neighbor's snorkel gear.

Ahhhhhh.....

Some brave souls walked the length of the rocks and then jumped off.

Splash!

The little black speck in the middle of the photo is a turtle.

After a nice morning/afternoon we headed back to Lahaina. I may have gotten too much sun this day and ended up with a mild case of heatstroke. So sad - my feeble Alaska body can't handle the heat!

No comments: