Sunday, March 22, 2009

Whittier '08

Before I met D, I had never once stepped foot in Whittier, Alaska. In my defense though, NOBODY went to Whittier when I was growing up. It was (and still is) a tiny town and you could only get there by hopping on the train. Everyone lives in a big apartment building, which doesn't see any direct sun for quite a bit in the wintertime.

With the construction of the tunnel, more and more boaters, kayakers and tourists could drive through to the gloriousness that is Prince William Sound! Now I spend more time in PWS than I ever could have imagined.

These photos are from our first trip of the summer season last year -- around mid-May 2008.

A nice drive down the Seward Highway -- Turnagain Arm is the body of water between the highway and mountains.


In one of many of Culross Island's little beaches.




Occasionally an interloper finds its way into the traps. We deal with squid, crabs and sea urchins after the whole haul has come up. Can't leave them too long -- otherwise the squid will suck out the meat from the shrimp.


Spot shrimp missing his long, razor-like nose poker.

Shrimp all cleaned out and traps ready for another long soaking.


Lots of snow still around in May.


We were lucky to see a float plane take off one day.


Airborne (way off in the distance)!


Drift prefers to ride up front -- he rarely sits inside with us, except when it's really rough and bumpy. Even then he'll sit outside at the very back of boat near the engine.

Sometimes, when we're very, very lucky, a clear day and flat seas happen on the same day. And a sea otter comes out to play.


The forests are quiet and awe-inspiring at the same time. I always get the feeling that we are the first people to walk around in the area.



We'll end on a shrimpy note!

No comments: