Pop quiz: which peak is this?
Answer: if you didn't say Redoubt, obviously you are not reading enough of my blog. A rap on the knuckles with a ruler for you! It may look calm and serene on the beach, but trying to pull up on shore in a boat is a nightmare -- which is why the tractor launch does so well in these areas. The tiny little waves will beach a boat so fast it'll make your head spin. And then you are stuck until the next high tide, which is hours away. There are no protected coves here (like Whittier or Homer) so beach breaks are discouraged by the captain.

This is beautiful downtown (and pretty much the whole town of) Ninilchik. Photo taken from the top of the Ninilchik View Campground stairs.




A story for you, dear blog readers: when his parents were up a few years ago, D found this cafe called Suzie's in Sterling. They all loved it and D took me exactly twice. I loved it. However, for the last two years D and I have tried SO hard to visit Suzie's again, but every single time it has been closed. EVERY TIME. FOR A DIFFERENT REASON. Too early in the season. Too late. Not open 'til noon. Not open on Sundays. It's almost spooky, like we aren't welcome. So this last time, I said NO MORE! Because Suzie's was closed again and it's for sale. (insert me shaking my fist with an angry look here)

This is beautiful downtown (and pretty much the whole town of) Ninilchik. Photo taken from the top of the Ninilchik View Campground stairs.



I was picture-taking like a crazy woman. Poor D -- he usually runs the other way or ducks his head or gives me the stink eye when I whip my camera out. This time he sent me down to the beach for photos while working on getting the boat ready to head home.
Windblown tree on a little hill:
Hey, I guess it's cool to park your old weatherbeaten boat anywhere you want in Ninilchik.

A story for you, dear blog readers: when his parents were up a few years ago, D found this cafe called Suzie's in Sterling. They all loved it and D took me exactly twice. I loved it. However, for the last two years D and I have tried SO hard to visit Suzie's again, but every single time it has been closed. EVERY TIME. FOR A DIFFERENT REASON. Too early in the season. Too late. Not open 'til noon. Not open on Sundays. It's almost spooky, like we aren't welcome. So this last time, I said NO MORE! Because Suzie's was closed again and it's for sale. (insert me shaking my fist with an angry look here)



No comments:
Post a Comment