The weather during Thanksgiving weekend was perfect! Lots of fresh powder after 24 straight hours of snow and it was the light, fluffy stuff. We packed up our x-c skis, the dog and headed out to Campbell Tract, which is conveniently less than 2 miles from our house.
I don't know if I've said this before, but I really do love the area we live in. It's close to everything we need (shopping, work, highway, etc.) and at the same time near the wilderness (Campbell Tract, Far North Bicentennial Park, Chugach National Park). Every year we see lots of moose in our yard (just 2 weeks ago, in fact) and last summer a black bear was spotted near the end of our little street.
Anyway - back to skiing. The temps hovered near 19-20 degrees and couldn't be more perfect. Any warmer than that and I just get so overheated after 15 minutes of outside exercise.
Blue sky and no clouds!
This is Campbell Airstrip. Small planes mostly land during the spring, summer and fall months but there are signs on this route that caution trail users to stay on one side of the airstrip year-round, lest they get run over by a Piper or SuperCub or something.
The majority of those we saw on this day were skiing but a few were just hiking or on snowshoes. Lots of dogs along too. Didn't see any dog sled teams though.





No comments:
Post a Comment