Thursday, April 23, 2009

Choo choo 2

The weather wasn't so fabulous yesterday (like I expected) for the train excursion, but the precipitation stayed away and that's always appreciated on a trip!

Trains can't exactly turn around on the track, so our 3 cars were sandwiched between two engines -- when we reached Indian, the train stopped for about 15 minutes and we reversed direction. Here is the train as we waited to board in Anchorage:

The huge glass windows are fabulous for spotting animals -- we saw 5 moose in Potter Marsh and 2 dall sheep on the mountainside as the train rolled by.

One of our "volunteers" is a therapy dog named Zoe - she and her handler come to our facility and hang out with people undergoing treatment. I even made her a special certificate (the Auxiliary all get them during the luncheon) with her volunteer hours on them. She is the sweetest dog -- so quiet and well-behaved. I'm surprised they let her on the train though!

I absolutely love Mt. Susitna -- although we locals usually call it "Sleeping Lady." She lies across Cook Inlet from Anchorage.

Chugging along the tracks which border Turnagain Arm.

Played with my the macro feature on my camera for a bit:


More photos to follow!

No comments: